A Brief History of Me
I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I’m the son of an immigrant, a typesetter who taught me to love books and the written word. As a boy, I read voraciously and wrote well. Ironically, I swerved toward math and science during my school years and worked as an electronics technician in the U.S. military during the Vietnam Era. I went on to major in engineering in college, worked in engineering for a number of years, and then swerved yet again into education. This time, I went “back to my roots” and taught college mathematics for several decades. Continue reading to see how I ended up using my general and academic writing skills to start my own business.
A Change of Careers
After retirement, I decided to pursue my lifetime dream of setting up my own business. However, now in the digital age, I had the opportunity to work online. The Internet provided me the perfect platform for exercising what I loved doing in my youth: writing. I write articles and essays for publications, posts for blogs, items for newsletters, letters for emails. Academic writing is my specialty.
Making Sure It’s Right
Moreover, at this stage of my life, I could offer more than just writing. Having always had an eye for detail, and now with a proofreading course certificate under my belt, I can offer proofreading services. Technical and academic proofreading is a natural component of my technical writing skills.
Technical Writing, Training, and Experience
I have a very technical education and background. More importantly, my extensive experience in the technical and academic worlds allows me to work effectively with technical and academic concepts and documents. In the engineering and scholarly worlds I inhabited, technical writing was a necessary skill.
Spanish: The “Language of the Angels”
I grew up around the Spanish language. As a result, I’ve read Spanish all my life. Consequently, I can offer English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English translation and proofreading in the language of my ancestors.
Public Speaking: An Art and a Science
Toastmasters International is an international organization that teaches people to communicate effectively in public. Because I have many years of training in this organization, and because I have given prize-winning speeches in contests, I am able to write to motivate and inspire others.
The Magic of Inspiration
In addition to my advanced technical degrees (see my résumé), I’m proud to have earned an Associate degree in liberal arts (see my credentials). With a background in literature, poetry, philosophy, business, and the French language, I am able to write to inspire and, hopefully, enlighten.
Some fun facts about me…
- I have three handsome grandsons, sons of my daughter who teaches kindergarten. In other words, I’m a fortunate man.
- Because I love the music of my grandparents’ and parents’ generations, I took the time to learn ballroom dancer. I’m trained in dances such as foxtrot, waltz, quickstep, tango and the Latin dances: rumba, salsa, cha-cha-cha and bachata.
- Since I treasure my health, I’ve enjoyed daily walks and runs along the beach or the local marina for decades.
- I’m very conscious of health, nutrition, and diet. Because of this, I like to make meals that are compatible with the Mediterranean diet.
- Last but not least, I love reading and, of course, writing, editing, translating, and proofreading for clients like you!