Consider letting me help you!
I’m David Magallanes, a freelance writer, editor, proofreader, and translator for hire.
I can create engaging content for your readers at the level that you prefer. I have background in writing social media and blog posts, academic and technical editing, writing articles for newsletters, doing writing research, book and document editing, proofreading, and translating (English to Spanish, Spanish to English).
My written copy is:
- Easy to read and follow
- Grammatically correct
- Rich in vocabulary
- Spelled correctly throughout
- Informative and educational
- Written for top SEO
- Written for reader engagement
I have a strong technical background. I was formerly an electrical engineer with over a dozen years of experience in the field. I switched over to higher education, where I did some editing for a publisher and a math course textbook it was developing. I’m now a retired professor of mathematics with a deep respect for the written word and living by the Southern California coast.
When I’m not creating content or translating or proofing something, I’m either out running by the water near the beach or dancing ballroom on the social dance floor!
Why Work With Me?
I have experience working on technical teams in offices and with students in classroom and lab environments. I’m reasonable and logical and go out of my way to work well with others.
I look forward to working with you, just as I’ve worked with so many others, to help you accomplish your goals!
In my early engineering work as a software analyst:
- I edited and proofread hardware and software documentation
- I often created documentation based on observed results in testing labs
- I learned to be precise in my thinking and writing, which was crucial to developing documentation that was used to train and guide U.S. Navy sailors in charge of complex defense systems aboard their ships
So if you are looking for someone with technical writing background, you may want to consider hiring me for your projects!
In subsequent decades:
- I taught college-level mathematics, which had me creating assignments and exams with explicitly clear and precise language for my students
- I prepared daily lectures to convey the intricacies of the mathematics they had to learn
- I helped a publisher with a mathematics textbook in development
If you need someone for a project or assignment that requires a logical approach, then by all means consider the services I offer.
Writing and Public Speaking Experience
- I wrote articles for professional and community newsletters (see my portfolio)
- My articles were judged to possess a quality that either met or exceeded the requirements of the editors for publication
I am a weekly bilingual columnist for a community newsletter
- I am one of the few bilingual (English/Spanish) columnists
- For the past 10+ years, I have written a weekly bilingual column on a wide variety of topics
- I don’t simply drop my content into Google Translate to rely on its translation, since there are too many nuances and cultural considerations to trust that process!
- One of my columns was highlighted in New American Media, a national multimedia ethnic news agency
To see some of my bilingual newsletter columns, click here.
My bilingual writing is deemed worthy of publication by Frank Moraga, editor of the Amigos805 Newsletter and former business editor of the Ventura County [California] Star newspaper. He writes, “David Magallanes’s articles are an essential voice of calm, insight and reason for our readers in Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties.”
For your bilingual/translation projects:
- You need someone like me who has the language background and cultural awareness to produce reliable translations that won’t embarrass you or get you into trouble!
- If you have any questions about my Spanish language content or translation services, please contact me.
I have public speaking experience
As a former Toastmaster, I am very familiar with the components of an effective speech. If you need help crafting a speech for you or someone in your organization, please contact me.
- I keep the principles of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in the foreground as I create content for you or your organization
- I write clear and correct language (whether English or Spanish) that will engage readers and give them the impression that proper language is one of your priorities!
If your business needs traffic, if you need help preparing an inspiring and well-crafted speech, or if you need language translation services, then I can help you.
I have technical editing experience
If you are a publisher looking for an editor with background in mathematics, science and engineering, then I can help you.
When you hire me, not only do you get a writer who understands the critical importance of proper writing, but also:
- A copywriter. I can tell stories, motivate and/or educate readers—your potential clients.
- A speechwriter. I have won awards (believe it or not, in the humor category!) for speeches I gave during my years in Toastmasters.
- An editor and proofreader. After decades of checking the accuracy of other people’s work, I am fully capable of catching the “faux pas” and embarrassing mistakes that dent your credibility in the eyes of discerning readers
- A translator. I can help you propagate your message to the Latino population, a major consumer powerhouse too often overlooked by businesses that stand to augment their brand awareness with this base of potentially loyal customers
- A collaborator. The entire span of my careers has relied on my ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others toward a specific goal, whether that was an engineering project or an educational outcome for adult students.
Some fun facts about me…
- I have three handsome grandsons, sons of my daughter who teaches kindergarten.
- I’m a ballroom dancer, trained in dances such as foxtrot, waltz, quickstep, tango and the Latin dances: rumba, salsa, cha-cha-cha and bachata.
- I’ve enjoyed daily walks and runs along the beach or the local marina for decades.
- I’m very conscious of health, nutrition, and diet and like to make meals that are compatible with the Mediterranean diet.
- Last but not least, I love reading and, of course, writing, editing, and proofreading for clients like you!
To inquire regarding your writing, editing, or translation needs, don’t hesitate to…